Wrong, John Mellencamp. WRONG.
I hated high school. I always felt like a wallflower. No matter how hard I'd try to be noticed, I wound up feeling like I was an invisible ghost most days. I was super self-conscious about my clothes. I was tall, but skinny, so I bought things that were either too big or too short. I was always way behind the trends and unable to afford what all the well liked kids were wearing. Even though Seymour, Indiana was a small town (literally: hometown hero John Mellencamp wrote the song "Small Town" about Seymour), the kids really cared what you looked like. Here's some examples of high school journalism at its best, compliments of my sophomore year yearbook:
My senior year, I finally took Sophomore Angel Ho's enlightening advice to "wear what I feel". What I felt was a pull toward the old and the vintage, the desire to NOT blast brand names across my chest, and I finally started shopping at thrift stores because I wanted to, not because I had to. It took me 17 years to finally find my sense of style, but I don't think I've looked back or worried about fitting in ever since.
And the kids from high school? We're all friends now thanks to Facebook, and I'm pretty sure I'm the only one with a fashion blog... but I'm also pretty sure they still think I dress like a weirdo!
Comment of the Day: those excerpts from your yearbook are PRICELESS. i was pretty awkward in high school, too (um, i had a PERM. and went to high school from 2000-2004! what was i THINKING?!) and even though i believe style is an always evolving thing, i'm much more secure in mine now and dress for myself rather than others. good advice, angel ho, good advice. - mariel
wow Indiana, you seem like such a confident woman that it is hard to believe you went through awkard teen years - i know i did! I hated high school for the same reasons, but found my style and blossomed in my senior year too. Loved reading those excerpts! - Natalya of Wear Necessities
ReplyDeletelove this! I'm in high school now and this made my day seem MUCH better (:
ReplyDeleteI really really really enjoyed this posting. It's so honest in a refreshing way. Thanks for sharing, fabulous!
ReplyDeleteThis reminds me so much of me, except in Jr. High. I tried to do the surfer/tomboy thing that was popular, but it didn't work out right. Once I embraced the thrift store as a means to finding unique things that made ME happy, I felt much better... my class even voted me most fashionable, even though my clothes were never what you'd call "in fashion." Once small victory for thrift girls in HS!!
ReplyDeleteThis is so cute-- even if you felt like you were struggling with style dilemmas in HS, your picture is pretty darn adorbs! :)
ReplyDeleteI hated high school too, but it definitely took me a lot longer than that to try and find a style that made me happy. I'm only really getting around to it now...
ReplyDeleteIt reminds me of when I was a child and went through a phase like that. Thank you for sharing (:
ReplyDeletei really really like your blog
ReplyDeleteits a daily stop for me
great reading what you write
thanks for sharing as always
i really love your blog, keep it up!
-cma
COSMICaroline.blogspot.com
it took me to my mid twenties to finally find my style after always sticking to trends...wish I had that kind of advice at 16...everyone in my high school was a clone of each other...and like you said, none of them "i'm pretty sure", don't have their own fashion blog :0)
ReplyDeleteLOL @ "Wrong, John Mellencamp. WRONG."
ReplyDeleteYou're absolutely hilarious! High school sucked for me too and I was a totally awkward teenager who didn't find a sense of personal style until the ripe age of 21. Its so refreshing to hear you speak about it so lightly, though! Please allow me to adopt your perspective.
High school was a disaster. Anyone who looks back on HS as being the best years of their lives must have really awful adult lives! I totally feel you on the awkwardness of those years and being lost style wise. But, I am finding my way more and more as I get older and figure myself out.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the blog! It's one of my favorites!
I can totally agree about high school! I'm not even going to attend any reunion because no one would remember me, ha!
ReplyDeleteI didn't hate my high-school years, but I know they're not my best. Thanks for the retro, look-back!
ReplyDeletei feel very similarly. i'm from a really small midwestern town too. i always felt like i never quite fit. i too think people thought i was a weirdo b/c of what i wore, and like you, i'm now friends with many HS folks via FB, and i'm sure i'm the only fashion blogger. some folks have told me how interesting they always thought i was, and i kind of like that. however, i'm sure most of them think i'm still a weirdo. my 10th year HS reunion is this year, but despite the pressure to attend, i think i'll keep our "friendships" virtual. :)
ReplyDeletegreat post!
Great post! I think many of us are late bloomers. This trip-down-the-memory-lane really makes all of us appreciate how far we've come.
ReplyDeleteAlthough you may have felt awkward, your high school photo is so cute. You are much prettier than other kids.
those excerpts from your yearbook are PRICELESS. i was pretty awkward in high school, too (um, i had a PERM. and went to high school from 2000-2004! what was i THINKING?!) and even though i believe style is an always evolving thing, i'm much more secure in mine now and dress for myself rather than others. good advice, angel ho, good advice.
ReplyDeleteWell look at you now! You're a famous fashion blogger who has a great husband, a cute dachshund and fabulous style! This was a very sweet post and I'm glad you were able to share something so personal with us.
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed this post, hats off for showing off your yearbook photo! Ugh, TH, CK and babydoll tees. I remember a pair of high heeled NW black patent loafers I wore the hell out of in 1996. The old times, they are not forgotten...thanks for your honesty.
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness! I did not know you were FROM Seymour! I am from Franklin! I noticed that you referenced Seymour in some of your posts, but I never realized you grew up there... wowza!
ReplyDeleteI know exactly what you mean about not being able to afford the cool clothes
ReplyDeleteI was known as the weird one in highschool, too. In fact I was voted "Most Unique" in our senior superlatives. My proudest achievement to date, I tell you!
ReplyDeleteIt took me 26 years to find my style. Love your post! So true. So so true.
ReplyDeleteThis was probably one of my favorite posts of yours, only because it was so refreshing and honest. I think most of us went through what you did in high school (I know I did), but style is personal and it should looked at that way. I am glad you found your sense of style because it is a wonderful sense. :D
ReplyDeleteMuch love,
Amy
http://thebargainhunterextraordinaire.blogspot.com
ugh, high school. i didn't find my style until after college! i still feel that old anxiety about what im wearing when i go back to my home town to this day! we're rocking it now, though, aren't we? :)
ReplyDeleteHa ha! I like this post!
ReplyDeleteI agree, high school was not the best for me either. I mean, it wasn't horrible, but I certainly wouldn't go back!
Love your style girlie!
Hahaha. I bet even though you felt like a weirdo and an outsider, the other kids did not think that of you. I actually think everyone feels that way in middle school and high school. Also, I knew John Mellencamp was from a small town in Indiana but I didn't know it was Seymour. Thanks for sharing!! I love him and I love that song! Oh, and I love your blog :)
ReplyDeleteSeriously, I don't think any of us feel like we looked great in highschool (or middleschool), so you're not alone!
ReplyDeleteMeanwhile I had to laugh at one of the quotes in the yearbook "classic is definitely the look for 1996" hehe my memories of 1996 include nothing but super tragic fashions... but maybe I was even more of a dork than I thought I was!
You're from SEYMOUR!? I'm from Jeffersonville (about an hour south) but I used to play soccer in seymour! Now i live in florida :)
ReplyDeleteHey there Indiana. Thank so much for sharing your story, and I can definitely identify with parts of your story, because I too had bumpy parts in my childhood of fitting in with clothes and keeping up with everyone's styles. Because I came from a foreign country, no one else had the clothes I wore, so in middle school that's a big no-no and I was an outcast. In high school it got better b/c I made good friends, but some of my outfits were definitely unique, and even to this day, my buddies still comment on what I wear, but I know they love and support my quirky self, so I feel in a really good place.
ReplyDeleteSo awesome of you to share this moment in your life, and relate it to where you are today!!
Thanks for sharing this. You should do more posts like this!
ReplyDeleteI also had a magical childhood and could have skipped my teens. What an awkward terrible time. I've completely forgotten about them (which is too bad because I'm sure I have some good, embarrassing stories!)
Oh, those yearbook excerpts made me smile! Yeah, wearing thrift store finds in Montana in high school (circa 1995-96) earned me the title of "hippie" and brought involuntary tightrolls upon my wide legged jeans from the new girl sitting next to me. I don't know if I so much felt invisible as WANTED to feel invisible. I agree with you: "Wrong, John Mellencamp, WRONG!" Hilarious...thanks for sharing!
ReplyDelete