Here's the common scenario: you log into Flickr and see that you have a new contact! Yay! You don't know who they are (they may or may not have an avatar), so you don't mark them as friend or family, certain that it's just another harmless admirer or reader of your blog. They may have even added some of your photos as favorites. Awesome! Feels good on the ego, no?
Do yourself a huge favor. Click on their profile.
What are their other favorites? What are their groups? Who are their other contacts?
Here are some tell-tale signs that a freak flag may be flying:
1- Are most of their favorites girls in tights, women's feet, girls in bikinis, or marked as "adult"?
2- Do they belong to groups like "Females in Socks", "Pretty Petite Bare Feet", or "Nearly Nude Promo Babes"?
3- Are some of their contacts named strange things? Note: questionable names include anything ending in 69 and anything containing "feetlover".
If you answered yes to even one of these questions, you may be Flickr contacts with someone who does not use your photos for good. And since these types of people often connect with one another to share photos, it's best to block them. From their profile page, simply click "block this person" (it's on the right). You should see this next:
Yuck. I hate that I even had to deal with this, but as I was looking around on some of these dudes' profiles this morning, I saw several familiar faces from Wardrobe_Remix. Time to get your block on, ladies!
Comment of the Day: girrrrl, thank you for this reminder! I just went through and blocked what felt like 5 bajillion pervy-types. I went through both those who had added me as a contact AND those who had favorited any of my photos and were creepy. the latter took forever, but at least they won't have that pic of me readily available for who knows what anymore! -Chelsea
yeah, tons of freaks on there. I block everyone...that is the least bit silly.
ReplyDeleteYucky! Super yuck, yuck, YUCK!
ReplyDeleteWow, this never even crossed my mind...
ReplyDeleteYou know, thanks for the eye opener. I mean, since adding my pictures on flickr i have gotten a few creepo's but never thought to do something about it. stupid right? but I will take time today to go ahead and block these peeps (yup I wrote peeps, as in peeping toms)from seeing any of my fancy foot work.
ReplyDeletegirrrrl, thank you for this reminder! I just went through and blocked what felt like 5 bajillion pervy-types.
ReplyDeleteI went through both those who had added me as a contact AND those who had favorited any of my photos and were creepy. the latter took forever, but at least they won't have that pic of me readily available for who knows what anymore!
Wowie Zowie! Thanks for the reminder to block the creeps! I get the 'I like girls in glasses' creeps.
ReplyDeleteSo blocking the contacts and will start on the faves soon!
Bleh! One of the downsides of being somewhat public on the internet, I guess. Why do guys have to be such downers sometimes? Can't gals just share their love of clothes without some pervs being all weird? Be careful, ladies!
ReplyDeleteI think your last screenshot needs another box to block out the name (near the bottom), as it appears that's what you were trying to do with the other gray boxes.
ReplyDeletehahaha. I love this post!!! It is sooooo true though. I really wish flickr would do a bit more to protect against gross pervs. I still remember that post a long, long time ago where you found your overall photo on a "I'm a creep that fantasizes about girls in overalls" type message board!
ReplyDeletehahaha. I love this post!!! It is sooooo true though. I really wish flickr would do a bit more to protect against gross pervs. I still remember that post a long, long time ago where you found your overall photo on a "I'm a creep that fantasizes about girls in overalls" type message board!
ReplyDeleteUgh. If only there was a way to block them from my blog. I'm getting hits from some creepy knee sock fetish forum on my blog.
ReplyDeleteNo Flickr requests yet, but thanks for the heads up.
oh my gosh... i totally forgot about blocking people. thanks for the reminder... yuck. although now that I know you are on flickr... I'm going to add you as a contact! (unless you already are..) I don't use it too much. Thanks for the tip!
ReplyDeleteThankyou for this post - I've had so many 'creepers' lurking around my flickr account lately it's really been upsetting me. I even got a flickr mail yesterday from someone asking if he could buy me some more tights. Ew! No thanks!
ReplyDelete