Am I getting too old for this?

Friday, June 25, 2010

I want to preface this post with this: I love the fashion blogging community, and I really hope you all know that. Gush, gush, gush! In the (almost) year I've been doing this, I've been so fortunate to make friends with other women who do this, too and so many of you who stop by Adored Austin. I really love doing this, and I hope that I do this for a long, long time.

But can we just take a moment to laugh at ourselves? Please? Just one moment? I'm getting older, and I'm finding that I just don't dress as "cool" as I did when I was in college. I mean, people used to call me on Halloween to borrow the clothes that I wore on a normal, daily basis!

I find myself still drawn to pieces that I would have worn when I was younger, but I don't usually pair them all up together. But what if I did?

All of these pieces are mine. It's just that I don't usually dress like this when I'm... you know... going grocery shopping or something like that.

Oh, irony: Heart this on Weardrobe. Hype this on Lookbook. Deem this Chic on Chictopia.

I am certainly guilty of everything on the "Anatomy of a Fashion Blogger" list (especially the pigeon toes!), but for the most part, I try my best to dress like the sensible, conservative, mom-to-be that I am. I read a ton of style blogs, and my favorites are the ones that are real women, with real bodies, who dress realistically while incorporating some of the outlandish or innovative.

All that to say this: we're all having fun, right? Fashion is fun. Keep all this in mind for later today, okay? This all has to do with this awesome giveaway/ contest that's now up and ready for you to enter!

41 comments:

  1. Haha, that is so true! That's why I try to smile in my photos, I don't want to be perceived as a serial fashion girl. Eeek! Everything I do, I do for fun. (Okay, except waking up early and being responsible.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for this - what a great giggle after a hard weeks work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you make up that Anatomy of a Fashion Blogger? It's SO perfect! But those are precisely the blog-types that I don't follow! I know everyone else does, because I'm charting everyone's blogrolls, but seriously, they're just not that fab!

    ReplyDelete
  4. CRACKING UP Indiana.

    You are just too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not too old at all. You just gotta do what's fun. Besides, plenty of us get prego and have no one to look to for fashion know how, even if it's kooky. And can I just say pregnancy is a time to wear clothing combos you never would have thought of before. And dress comfy girl - it's hot in TX this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL at the Anatomy of a Fashion Blogger. I love the way you've modeled our outfit - LOL! And the birdcage?! You're too funny. Always a pleasure reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bet if you posted this on lookbook you'd get hyped so fast! haha. that is if you even are on lookbook? I myself am not for fear that I am 1.too old, 2. too real,
    3.not ridiculous enough.
    Love this post....

    ReplyDelete
  8. This post really made me smile. I think you look fabulous! I was having a similar dilemma today, but not to the same extent. I wanted to wear a scarf a certain way but it just didn't look...normal for work, Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok, this post is hilarious because it is so TRUE!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah. I have definitely been guilty of these things at one time or another.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with Mel. You would totally be featured on weardrobe/modcloth/chictopia and probably get picked up on vogue or something.

    Meanwhile, people like me are thinking... I'm a twenty something and I work in an office. I'm just thankful I can wear jeans shorts to work!

    Great post, you are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  12. YES!!!!!! AHAHAHAHA!!! -

    this is absolutely TOO cute. best.post.ever.

    xo,
    raven

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just to clarify: all women are real and have real bodies. None of us are robots or cgi generated or otherwise unreal. I greatly dislike the assertion that bloggers are more "real" than models. Obviously enough very tall, very thing women exist that there is an entire market for them.

    I'm sorry, I don't mean to be confrontational but it is bizarre to think anyone is not "real" on this earth.

    ReplyDelete
  14. GAH I meant very thin, of course...

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Alya: EXCELLENT POINT! Yes! I agree! My pet peeve is when people say "real women have curves". As someone who is lacking in the curves department, I'd get miffed and be like, "No. Real women have vaginas. Pretty sure that's the only requirement for being a 'real' woman." What am I? A man? A cyborg? No!

    So point well taken, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I LOVE this post, so happy to have found your blog, i am in my thirties too and just started my personal style blog, so I can really relate to all of the things here, and i am definitely following you now, love love love, XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just visiting from Fashion Butter... - too true girl!

    I'm wondering with/or as age creeps on up, if we tend to dress more "safe"??? I caught myself the other day going, oh crap, that's way too short!!!

    Then thought.... Sod it!

    Loving your blog, Ciao Bella,
    x.o.x.o

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the post! I'm a thirty something too and a new personal styleblogger so I found this blog refreshing and spot-on! Congrats on being a mommy-to-be! My baby girl just turned a year in February :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am cringing with recognition. Guilty as charged. It's sometimes hard to resist giving into outlandishness of the fashion blogging world. Sometimes I feel like I'm a totally different person in my outfit photos - I mean do I wear my highest heels with my shortest dress when I go to run errands (NO!), but that doesn't mean that I don't look fierce and enjoy sharing that look on my blog! Thanks for the reality check, it's always good to have a sense of humor about this sometimes ridiculous fashion blogging world.

    ReplyDelete
  20. funny post!this is one of the reasons i visit your blog everyday! haha..i also love to look at real women and their everyday get-up =)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Heck yeah--I love this! I love love love that you don't take yourself so seriously and you have a sense of humor about blogging, and quite honestly, I love this outfit all paired up together-but completely impractical for grocery shopping I agree :) have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You are making me want to jumble up all my crazy pieces and wear them just for the hell of it!!!

    http://www.afashionfixation.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hahahahahahahahaha. Love it! So true.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I got here via Fashion Butter. I'd leave a pithy comment but I'm laughing too hard!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This was so funny -- I laughed so hard at the list. I think I'm guilty of the pidgeon toed stance sometimes...

    BTW you rock those pieces so hard. If you ever decide to wear it all to the grocery store, please document it for the blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is hilarious! I love that you actually put a bird cage on the stump with you. Priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hahahahahahaha, omg - I love it! It is so funny and so true! I am a huge pigeon toed posing offender who over-accessorizes her short hemlines.

    xoxo, Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is hilarious and amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I just have to say that you're hilarious and I love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  30. You are SO right on! Thanks for the reminder that fashion IS and should be fun, but that it's okay not to whip out the knee socks and fedora to go to 7-11. Your blog rocks, so glad I found it!

    ReplyDelete
  31. You look awesome! I totally agree that it's great to keep things fun and remember that, after all, it's just fashion. Thanks for the reminder - I'm excited to enter your contest!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hahaha! I loved this post! I enjoy many types of style blogs, but I most appreciate the bloggers who have a sense of humor!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love it! I try not to push the envelope too much, but where I live, anything beyond jeans and tee is innovative. It's hard to know where the line is!

    This made me laugh, though. So thank you for the giggle and the reminder not to take oneself *too* seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Laughed out loud when I read this. Just started reading fashion blogs and I'm always stunned at how short the hemlines are and how high the heels are! As someone who occasionally has to bend over to pick something up or (god forbid) walk to get somewhere, I love reading blogs like yours where the fashion is fun and inspirational but also realistic.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oh I love the post...totally TRUE thank you for this...

    you look cute on the outfit...

    take care love
    Sweet
    http://pensandlens.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  36. oh i love this!

    maddie
    http://reallifemakebelieve.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  37. Great post~ love your- er- stockings. I am totally pidgeon toed and smileless myself in photos.Maybe it's catching.
    :)
    Marie @ Lemondrop ViNtAge
    Purseapalooza giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  38. oh gosh, you're adorable!
    im gunna followw you. (:
    check out my blog, im new to all this so sugestions are grand!

    kalynblairecagle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  39. This is def my favorite post from you because you're so funny.

    That's how I felt about the whole over the top fashion community. I mean I liked to look at it in magazines, but not in real life!

    Goo real women!

    ReplyDelete

I read every single comment that I get (I have it set up to go to my phone!), and I thank you so much for adding to the discussion!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...