The trouble with skirts

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

I don't think we can call it a baby bump any longer. This thing has grown to giant proportions and deserves a name like baby mountain or Mt. Baby or something of that ilk. In fact if it's a boy, I really should consider naming it Everest Adams. In any regard, this has caused quite a wardrobe conundrum. Do my skirts go above or below the outgrowth?
abovebelow
Putting my skirt above Mt.Baby makes me feel like Urkle, but putting it below makes me feel like one of these gentlemen. Thoughts?

I have a dentist appointment today, and I'm quite apprehensive. I think I've mentioned this here before, but my greatest fear is the dentist office. In fact, pre-pregnancy I had to take a little pill to calm my nerves before my dentist appointment. Even if it's just a little 'ole cleaning, my hygienist gives me a soft blanket to wrap up in, a pillow to hold, and puts the ocean on the tv. I crank the iPod and count to 100 over and over again to keep my mind off the freaky noises and vibrations reverberating off my brain. I am not looking forward to this appointment, so like last time, I'm wearing something whimsical to boost my sour mood.
smashionskirt1
toms
skirt
bow
date: 11 August 2010
occasion: dentist office
skirt: vintage via Smashion
tank: courtesy of Love 21 Maternity
wedges: TOMS
bow: I made it this morning!

This is the skirt I blogged and bought on Smashion.com, and it makes me so happy! When getting dressed this morning I thought, "This outfit needs something..." I had some leftover fabric from the cloth napkins I made a few weeks ago, so I crafted up this little bow to add a touch of whimsy. For me, whimsy is a requirement to offset an afternoon touture session at the dentist office!

[Smashion is an Adored Austin partner.]

56 comments:

  1. beautiful skirt! it's inspired great skirt-envy within me...

    i think "above" mt. baby is probably more appropriate, especially if you're worried about what our mothers' generation thinks about our style choices..

    HOWEVER! i think i personally prefer below mt. baby! that baby bump is such a miracle! be proud - show it off! you're adorable either way!

    ps: everest adams is kee-ute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the skirt above the bump! It looks so cute like that, and it doesn't like seem like you're trying to hide the bump. In fact, I think it accentuates it, but everything still looks proportionate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like "above" better! Below does like a little old mannish, and while the view from your perspective may seem like a mountain, it looks just lovely from here. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Above! It's super cute that way

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am CRACKING UP. Hubs just IM'ed me from work telling me that the skirt looks best BELOW Mt.Baby. I was like, "You are the ONLY ONE who thinks that!" He is incredulous that I would wear my skirt so high!

    See? This is why I stick to dresses! Easy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another vote for above Mt. baby! It makes your full skirt flare out more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think going above with the skirt looks better. Btw, I hate dentists too, they make me cringe whenever I hear that scraping sound during teeth cleanings.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful skirt, I love the bow! And I would go above the bump :)

    L x
    Half Dressed

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have thought about this too, and I say above the bump. Looks cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like below the bump. It's unapologetically there. I think maternity clothes tend to hide the pregnant lady rather than showcase.

    Be below the bump!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Would it depend on the skirt and if the shirt is left out or not?

    Imagine a little bandage skirt and an untucked oversize tee, if you will. Hmmm... perhaps I'll try that tomorrow if I can squeeeeeeze into a bandage skirt, still! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I kind of like both. With below Mt Baby, it's a low-waisted outfit, but above gives it a stylish empire waistline...I guess it's about your comfortability at this point, lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The skirt above the baby belly camouflages it a little more, where they skirt below makes you look ready to pop!

    I think it just depends on how you feel! :)

    I have to imagine it's more comfortable above the bump... it just seems like it would be uncomfortable to wear it below.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cute outfit. Love the bow - what a great add! My vote is above Mt. Baby.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Definitely above. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Keep it above. And good luck at the dentist. I like going, myself. The pain feels good in a good way. I'm a freak!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Above the bump is adorable and looks more modern than below. Great bow! I'd love to see your fabric stash.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Haha oh the joys of pregnancy! I rocked both the above and below the belly look, depending on the outfit. Buuut, I have to say that in the last month of pregnancy I had to stop with the below the belly because it made trips to the bathroom even more frequent. You look beautiful in both.

    And, seriously, how do you not look pregnant at ALLL from the front? It is amazing. And also, I looove this bow!

    Last but not least, I share your sentiment about the dentist. I would rather have bamboo shoots shoved under my nails ... maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Though you could pull off both - over is definitely the way to go!

    Hope you survived the dentist!

    --Katie
    www.redlipsandbardothair.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Definitely above!! Don't worry, you look amazing no matter what :) I know how you feel about the dentist, I hate it because I never get good news! Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Above :)
    Ahh, I hate going to the dentists too! I only ever go if I really really must! They scare me :(

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yep, definitely above the bump. Besides, high-waisted skirts are in right now, right?

    I haven't been to the dentist in YEARS. Seriously. It's awful. I have nice teeth but I'm sure I have a cavity or two and I really need to go, but I'm so terrified of dentists that I just don't. Isn't that awful?

    ReplyDelete
  23. I would definitely stick with ABOVE rather than below.. as long as it doesn't feel too tight. You look fantastic... and I really do love that skirt! I need something like that for my baby bump!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think above Mt. Baby looks best! I too hate and fear the dentist, so I know where you're coming from with that. Good luck though!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love that skirt and the bow is adorable!! and i say below!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Definitely above the bump!! Super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I say above, but you're so darling, you can pull it off either way! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  28. You look beautiful! I think it's super cute above the bump!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I agree with the majority and think your skirt looks best above.
    Both are good options, but above is so cute.
    i hope the dentist went ok. I also hate the dentist, i hate all the water they spray in my mouth and really feel awkward when they try to talk to me while working on my teeth..there usually is no possible way to respond to their questions!! Don't they know that??

    ReplyDelete
  30. Haha! Okay, I just burst out laughing at your linked picture to those guys. Don't worry, you don't look like that if you wear it below. I may be in the minority here, but I think the below actually looks better! It showcases Mt. Baby instead of covering it up.

    I hope your dentist visit went well!

    ReplyDelete
  31. My vote is for above the baby mount! I like that styling better, even though it makes you feel like Urkel :). I also can't believe you just whipped that bow together this morning! It goes so amazing with the skirt, I thought it was a part of the skirt itself! Major kudos! And also I loved seeing you in Lucky magazine this month!!

    Small Time Style

    ReplyDelete
  32. You still look gorgeous either way. Love what you're creating with the new sewing skills!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I vote for above! It looks adorable. And I laughed out loud at "Mt. Baby"!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I say go for comfort! Whichever feels better to you. I know during pregnancy I sought comfort in my clothing. I loved my maternity pants from kohls, I lived in them for the last month, and they were kinda cute too! They covered the whole mountain but it was a wide loose elastic. So again, it looks cute on you either way, so go for COMFORT!

    ReplyDelete
  35. oh no! why are you so afraid of the dentist?! bad experience? you poor thing. to be honest, you little blankie, pillow, ipod setup sounds like a good idea!

    PS: I'm voting above for sure but agree with everyone else that you should do whatever is most comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  36. You're looking mighty cute today! I am also terrified of the dentist. I should look into that "little pill" you speak of. I usually cry when they say I need more than a cleaning.:0( Oh, and BTW skirts should go over the belly. So much cuter.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Definately above....Urkel was the greatest! hope you survived the dentist!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I hear your pain on the dentist front. I had a few horrible experiences as a kid and took anxiety meds for cleanings until I found my current (AMAZING) dentist.

    And I definitely prefer above, but at this point it should be all about your comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  39. This is a great outfit. I like above waaaay more than below. The empire waist accentuates the bump and is on-trend. Below looks a little sloppy to me.

    ReplyDelete
  40. I like it better above! When do you find out the sex of the baby?

    Http://www.afashionfixation.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  41. I would definitely say above the bump for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  42. ok, this may not be helping much but I think it looks nice both ways

    ReplyDelete
  43. ABOVE :) Love the fabric belt/sash!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Everest would be a pretty cute name. As for the above/below debate, I would say it's entirely dependent upon the skirt. Some would look better above, others below. As a loose rule, I suggest that flowy skirts look better above the bump and tighter, more pencil like skirts look better below.

    - Patricia
    fivefootsomething.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  45. above, definitely above. Its like a high waisted girl twist to a baby bump.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Beautiful skirt! I like it better above the baby bump!
    Hope your dentist appointment went OK!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Both looks are lovely, but I prefer below. It looks very relaxed and boho (in a good way!).

    ReplyDelete
  48. It looks good on you both ways but I think if you like the Mt.Baby there then you want to show that its there, so put it below it. If not, then put the skirt above. Hope this helps x

    ReplyDelete
  49. I love the above photo.

    You are totally blooming and looking awesome everyday!

    I really love looking forward to your post.

    By the way, this may be handy for you since you love events and organizing one. I have a great blog giveaway on my blog, hope you can find the time to visit and join.
    Click here----> BLOG GIVEAWAY


    Thank you.

    I will forever be a fan
    kisses
    always
    Sweet
    PensandLens

    ReplyDelete
  50. Above is super cute. Below is a tad creepy. Sorry...

    ReplyDelete
  51. I'm with you on the dentist thing! It used to be that if I didn't take that little pill I'd be flat on the floor with an anxiety attack before I even left the house. I got lucky with a nice dentist like yours, who gets it and doesn't make me feel bad. Good luck, you'll be so proud of yourself when its over

    ReplyDelete
  52. Not as though lacking of a response, but let me also vote for above the waist. You look uber cute (Urkle would be proud!).

    ReplyDelete
  53. Above, for sure!
    Whimsy is absolutely essential to get through such ordeals as the dentist *shudders* - love the bow! ;-)

    www.ellecroft.com

    ReplyDelete

I read every single comment that I get (I have it set up to go to my phone!), and I thank you so much for adding to the discussion!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...