Thank goodness I was never into midriff baring shirts.

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

I never knew how deep my vanities ran until I developed stretch marks in my last month of pregnancy. My poor husband had to console me for what seemed like hours when they appeared seemingly overnight one night.

And they're still here. I'll spare you the photos. Instead here's the cause (which makes a much cuter photo):
bigeyesjude
Worth it? Yes, definitely. However, I am not one of those women who is proud of her stretch marks and declares them "Mommy's Badge of Honor" (actual words from a friend's Facebook status!). Like my acne scars, I honestly wish I didn't have 'em. Thanks to Mederma, my wishes may come true:
mederma
In twelve weeks time, I'm supposed to see significant improvement. I'll keep you updated and will do a full review after March 1st.

Lauren and the rest of the Mederma PR team is stellar, by the way. Stretch marks are a delicate subject for many women. Mederma had no idea that I had developed them; they just knew that I'm a new mother. They very graciously and tactfully asked if I'd like to try their Stretch Marks Therapy cream, and I readily accepted. I was very surprised when they overnighted a three month supply along with a hand written letter and a sweet baby blanket for Jude.

The company is awesome, too. Right now until the end of December, for every "like" they get on Facebook, they're donating $1 to the Young Survival Coalition (YSC), which is an amazing organization dedicated to the critical issues unique to young women who are battling and who have survived breast cancer. See the Mederma Facebook page for more information.

17 comments:

  1. I've had strech marks over 2/3 of my body for 14 years, but mine are from being on 250 mg of steroids/ day for a chemotherapy regimine. I remember at the time, it felt like a big deal to me (not bigger than losing my hair, but certainly a longer-lasting problem!) I do wear mine as a badge of honor, though I have no babies to show for it. I've looked like I have had several children since I was 12 years old. Boo. Anyway, your blog is not all about me :) haha. I hope it works for you! Pretty cool they just sent you the stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jude is so freakin' cute!

    Also, you're breakin' my heart with this stretch marks thing. I have a mere six weeks left until my due date and I (seeking wood for knocking) still haven't seen any.

    But you're right anyways - midriff baring shirts are for the crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This hits close to home. I am very, very self conscious about my stretch marks. I, too, got mine in my very last month of pregnancy. I tried Strivectin for mine and (unfortunately) all I got was super moisturized stretch marks. I have heard great thinks about Mederma though. I'm not sure how bad yours are but, as far as mine go (and I thought mine were pretty bad) - they do fade to be slightly lighter than your skin tone, which makes them a little less noticeable.

    Sometimes I think about it and I feel so silly for worrying about my stretch marks when there are so many more important things out there. But then I realize that this is my self-esteem and body image, and that IS important. Thank you for putting this out there. A lot of people would not plaster this on the internet but I'm glad you did because it makes me feel just a little less silly to feel self conscious about mine. Thanks, Indiana.

    ReplyDelete
  4. omgosh.. your baby is such a cutie! i'm so afraid of stretch marks when i do eventually get pregnant. can't wait to see how the mederma works for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was self conscious about mine until my dear friend said "oh, they look like a fairy painted you!"

    Embrace and love all the changes motherhood brings to your body and your life. They are there for a reason. None of us go through life unscarred or unchanged, and it's all beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've had stretchmarks since my first one was born, I got them on the lower part of my abdomen and they have stayed there and never really faded. I tried creams and they never worked, they say the only thing that works is laser treatments though. So, I hope this treatment does work for you! And yeah, I was never into midriff either, ever. And the stretchmarks in my abs are the least of my worries nowadays, it's the hormonal mess that I have after having three babies that has affected the skin on my legs that is! I wish there was something I could do about that, but, oh well.

    Your baby is precious, he looks a lot like you! ( I think ) :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i learned about the depth of my vanity when i developed some spots of cellulite on my arse. oye.

    ReplyDelete
  8. the cuteness that is ur baby is making me smile at my desk!!!! how. freaking. cute!!!

    xo, Kim www.eatsleepwear.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness. What a cutie pie :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. First of all..recently found your blog and love it!
    Second..stretch marks...they killed me. I got them the last few months of my pregnancy (along with a horrific case of PUPPPs). I had no idea how bad they were till the puppps went away...
    SO... I am really interested in if this works. Really interested. I am 4months post pardum with my second baby boy...and still have the marks.

    It really is a good thing those babies are so cute...what happens to our bodies is no joke.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I can't wait to hear if this works for you! My stretch marks aren't *too* noticeable, but they're still there and still annoying.

    Thanks for sharing the baby pic! ADORABLE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Holy smokes, it must've been frustrating to get the stretch marks in the last month of your pregnancy!

    My girlfriend (who has two munchkins) has had great luck with cocoa butter and products with cocoa butter as a main ingredient. I hope you have the best of luck with getting rid of them!

    ReplyDelete
  13. P.S.

    Jude is adorable! You can always use the stretch marks as part of your parental guilt trip later in life.

    "Jude, you see what I had to go through just to bring you into the world??! Go clean your room!!"

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your baby is so adorable! Stretch marks are a super sensitive subject for me too. I hope the treatment works for you. If it does, I might have to check it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. So like most of the ladies above, I am super freaked about stretch marks! I am in the very first stages of being preggers with my very first (eeek). I am slathering my body in coconut oil now hoping it will be a miracle working later (but not keeping my fingers crossed). So PLEASE keep us posted on the Mederma!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can't wait to hear if it really works!
    I thought I was stretch mark free so far, but the other day I caught a glimpse of the bottom of my belly (a part of my body I haven't seen in months) and saw one! It kind of made my day go sour. Yes, I'm so glad to be growing a baby, my body is a miracle,blah blah blah, but I still want to look good!

    ReplyDelete

I read every single comment that I get (I have it set up to go to my phone!), and I thank you so much for adding to the discussion!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...