This GAP FEED bags cost $39.99, but five whole dollars of it is given to "help improve school food and nutrition education in America". Don't get me wrong-- that part is cool. What's uncool is the fact that the outside of the bag and the hang tag is stamped with MADE IN THE USA, but the inside tag says the truth: "MADE IN CHINA".
Liar, liar, pants on fire!
And to quote the Consumerist:
"So while $5 of the price of each 'Feed' bag (ranging from $19.50 to $39.50) will go toward feeding children in the U.S., none of it went to an American adult for actually manufacturing the bags."
Word.
[SOURCE]Update: Apparently not all the GAP FEED bags are made in China. The one Jessica over at What I Wore is giving away is all American- made!
[photo c/o WiW]
Update 2 [17 Dec]: Lacey tweeted me that Yahoo picked up this story today. GAP has responded:
"... some of the bags in the "FEED USA" collection are made in America. However, the FEED USA Denim Bucket bags are made in China, and should not have been connected to the made in the USA signs. We apologize for any inaccurate messaging."
[SOURCE]
Whew. Yesterday was a weird day here! Now back to our regular, lighthearted Adored Austin postings!
You know, it would've been okay if they hadn't stamped Made in USA right on the front of the bag, but really? How did someone miss that? And only $5 goes to charity? Canvas is so cheap it's not even funny! At least 50% of proceeds should've been sent to charity.
ReplyDeleteSorry I'm just a bit of a grinch today. I'm sure if they donated more than $5 they could also insure that most of the school lunches are of the healthier variety.
ReplyDeleteWow only 5 dollars, I am speechless.
ReplyDeletewhat liars.. and only $5! that's crazy!
ReplyDeleteI'm so tired of these big corporations putting on piddly charity campaigns that are really promotional campaigns for themselves to fool customers into thinking that these companies somehow care about people. No, they just want our money. Better to just send five dollars to a food shelter.
ReplyDeleteThanks for posting this.
Yikes - nice try Gap...
ReplyDeleteIt is frustrating enough just trying to purchase goods made in the U.S. When you go to a website, many of them will list someplace where the item was made. But go to those sites and type in the search bar "made in the USA" or even "USA" and the results are generally very few. It WILL be impossible to find clothing made in the USA at Wal-Mart or Target, however. I don't hate China, I hate our economy, and I hate the attitude of the rich people who send thousands and millions of jobs overseas because it makes them richer while adding to the instability in our countries (which includes the fact that many parents can't afford to feed their kids, and sometimes the only way a child will get a solid meal is through the free lunch programs).
ReplyDeleteI'm preachy and I don't care. Thank you for posting this Ms. Indiana. Have you sent a link to their P.R. department yet?
Wow, I hope this gets out and Gap has to respond. How horrendous. And I think only 5$ going to charity is cheap of them, I think they did that with their Red shirts too, but even less went to charity. Lame!
ReplyDeleteWow, way to falsely advertise! Yet another reason why I try to get the bulk of my clothes second hand, so I'm not directly supporting these companies.
ReplyDeleteI'm so happy that you wrote about this, I'll link to you for sure. My new year's/new life resolution is to focus on buying used and or made in the us products because nothing is cute enough to ignore cheap labor!
ReplyDeleteWow, that is absolutely absurd. I can't believe they didn't think people would notice... this makes them look very no bueno in my opinion.
ReplyDeleteBisous,
Rachel
lovealamode.wordpress.com
This is so frustrating. I can't help but think that their intention is not to help at all but only to make money. I really like these posts that show another side of fashion.
ReplyDeleteHey Indiana. I am actually doing a giveaway with one of the FEED USA bags and the one I received was indeed, made in the USA. I don't condone the other bags with the mismarketing, but also wanted to bring another side of the story to the table. I have a pic I'd be happy to share.
ReplyDelete@Jessica:
ReplyDeleteYes, please send me a pic! Maybe the made in China ones are just the cheaper totes? Nonetheless, let's clear this up!
When I saw it, I just thought it was part of the design...like antique feedsacks. I guess I'm not a literal thinker!
ReplyDeleteI really detest this form of "fundraising" because it ends up being a bigger profit for the company than if they just set up a jar and said "give $1 to charity" People want to feel good about their spending, I suppose. The bags are also very ugly. :P
ReplyDeleteCould the reason Jessica's was actually made in the USA be part of the promotion through GAP's partnership with bloggers? That would not be cool to offer one product for promotion and sell another in stores. Either way, I agree, for a $40 tote bag, more than that should go to the cause. TOMS donates another pair of shoes - so hopefully the same cost value is being donated. Perhaps, GAP would consider donating half of the $40.
ReplyDeleteThat's the same way I feel about a lot of the project(red) items, such a little bit of the total profit goes to charity, I'd rather just donate to the charity directly.
ReplyDelete-Jenna
http://lustlovelose.wordpress.com