These shorts first appeared harmless. Their natural habitats are environments where athletics and cardiovascular activities are abound. We initially only saw them in or around gymnasiums, work out facilities, or clad around women who were running or biking.
This, however, is no longer the case. These Nike shorts have invaded nearly every crevasse of day-to-day society and have become extremely invasive and hostile in their take-over. They are now seen at the theater, in class, and even in nice restaurants where servers come to your table. We had hoped that they would not be able to survive the winter weather as they were biologically structured for temperatures in excess of 70ยบ Fahrenheit, however, they have formed a symbiotic relationship with two other fashion anomalies known as The Ugg boot and the black, cotton, leggings to ensure their survival and proliferation.
This, however, is no longer the case. These Nike shorts have invaded nearly every crevasse of day-to-day society and have become extremely invasive and hostile in their take-over. They are now seen at the theater, in class, and even in nice restaurants where servers come to your table. We had hoped that they would not be able to survive the winter weather as they were biologically structured for temperatures in excess of 70ยบ Fahrenheit, however, they have formed a symbiotic relationship with two other fashion anomalies known as The Ugg boot and the black, cotton, leggings to ensure their survival and proliferation.
Various blogs and Facebook groups have joined forces to fight off the Nike shorts invasion. I, myself- Mrs. Indiana E. Adams, have turned this very post into a petition for women everywhere to declare that we will stave off the mass popularity of these shorts outside of gyms. I hope these shorts become a thing of the past: much like the Umbro fad of 1993. Diaper butt and built-in underpants, we abolish you!
By leaving a comment on this post, you agree to the following:
By leaving a comment on this post, you agree to the following:
We, the undersigned, agree that wearing Nike shorts in situations that do not involve working out or athletics is a fashion tyranny that must be stopped. We shall not wear Nike shorts with Uggs. We shall not wear Nike shorts with leggings and flip flops. We shall not wear Nike shorts to nice restaurants, and we shall encourage our female friends to do likewise. We endeavor to stop the insanity and to spread our credo of "Just DON'T do it".
I CONCUR!
ReplyDeleteDeath to Nike Shorts!!
ReplyDeleteAgreed! This post was hilarious and how dare people wear these shorts in any other circumstances besides physical activities!
ReplyDeleteWhat?! Ew!
ReplyDeleteI have some of these FOR THE GYM, but I have never seen them outside of there, nor do I ever want to. Consider me in.
closet365.wordpress.com
I could not agree more. The worst I've seen is these shorts with leggings and Uggs. REALLY??!! I'm a runner and love Nike, but even *I* refuse to buy these shorts for athletic activities in an effort to get the point across.
ReplyDeleteI will do my part to stop the insanity. If I see someone wearing these shorts in a inappropriate manner, I will pull them aside, explain to them how ridiculous they look and offer to buy them a mirror. Because honestly, not having a mirror at home is the ONLY explanation for this. Wait, even that is not an explanation.
ReplyDeleteDeath to the Nike shorts!
Oh. my. gosh. I thought this only happened in College Station... I cringe when I see students with tights under their nike tempo shorts with uggs. If it's that cold, just wear pants. I am far from trendy/fashionable, but even as a runner, I don't own those shorts.
ReplyDeleteTogether we stand!
ReplyDeleteNo Nike shorts for me! Or Uggs!
ReplyDeletehttp://cequiminspire.blogspot.com/
i agree 100%. no more nike shorts in the winter!
ReplyDeleteI have never even seen them! I guess I've been lucky. No Nike shorts for me, or Uggs. Can't stand them.
ReplyDeleteabsolutely.
ReplyDeleteabsolutely.
ReplyDeleteTotally agreed! And I'm going to add this link to my blog post today, as this message should be spread!
ReplyDeleteHere here! And copied to my blog as well!
ReplyDeleteThese are ruining Austin!! I'm almost embarrassed to wear mine to the gym now.
ReplyDeleteYou've got a wholehearted AMEN from me!
ReplyDeleteNo worries! I didn't even know this was out there. Thanks for the warning.
ReplyDeleteSo agree! In Dallas and Fort Worth, they class them up with sequined flip flops...ugh.
ReplyDeletePreach it!! :)
ReplyDeleteI own some of these shorts and I love them...to RUN in, that is. If I do wear these out in public, it is because I am getting some food after a run or workout and then I am heading home for a shower and to put on my clean street clothes. Not sure why people can't seem to draw the line between athletic and street clothes. There must be a line!
ReplyDeleteonly at the gym. i promise.
ReplyDeleteI couldn't agree with you more, Indiana! Diaper shorts with built in panties... *shudder. I will never purchase these shorts. Ever.
ReplyDeleteno shorts. i don't even wear shorts to work out in! i am a 100% leggings only girl.
ReplyDeletealthough, i admit (with difficulty and shame) that i did participate in the mid-90's Umbro fad...
Hilarious post, and I totally agree that athletic shorts should only be worn for athletic activities. That said, leave the poor girl actually PLAYING SOFTBALL in the last photo alone, she's cute! :-)
ReplyDeleteHilarious post, and I totally agree that athletic shorts should only be worn for athletic activities. That said, leave the poor girl actually PLAYING SOFTBALL in the last photo alone, she's cute! :-)
ReplyDeleteI had a looooong conversation about this very subject with Cathy at Cream vintage yesterday! We definitely share your lamentation. Yuck!
ReplyDeleteOh, yes please! I go to college in East Texas and if ever a foreigner arrived, they'd probably think every female was required to tattoo her upper thighs three coordinating colors in order to enroll.
ReplyDeleteI am in.
I totally agree with you. Those shorts are awful!
ReplyDeleteI don't even OWN Nike shorts. And now I never plan to.
ReplyDeleteI concur with this petition.
I concur! If you're not running, or on your way to workout...don't wear 'um!
ReplyDelete....I am a black cotton legging junkie though ;)
This is so funny: we were discussing this in my trends class on Friday, then while shopping off the Drag I noticed the look SO MUCH MORE than I usually do. Then a blogger from www.wehatenikeshorts.blogspot.com commented my blog. So glad to see there is a movement to stop this!
ReplyDeleteAGREED. These are especially horrible when worn with Uggs...
ReplyDeletehaha, I did a post about the atrocity of athletic shorts with leggings as every-day winter wear:
ReplyDeletehttp://www.dishevelledstars.com/2009/12/open-letter-to-university-students-and.html
so I'm right with you.
lol, you are hillarious! And I definitely agree with you! - Natalya of Wear Necessities
ReplyDeleteI am with you!
ReplyDeleteLaughing out loud!
ReplyDeleteWhile I don't own Nike shorts, I do own several pairs of running shorts to...surprise surprise... run in. While I will often stop for breakfast at an outdoor cafe on the way home from my run, I would never put the shorts on for an outing to a restaurant. And wearing them with ugg boots has never occurred to me. That's just scary.
This is awesome! I agree...for sure!
ReplyDeleteYes! Let's raise more awareness!
ReplyDelete:)
-Erika
Spot on! Gym clothes are not to be worn everywhere!
ReplyDeleteIndiana! You are soooo right. Especially about wearing them to restaurants! I see this all over my campus and when they are around town they like to class them up sweat pants underneath or a sparkly top and lots of big chunky faux jewlery and of course the blinged flip flops. BTW I live south west of DFW (just picture this on Main St of a historic rural small town, YUCK!)
ReplyDeleteThis is quite possibly the most brilliant thing i've ever read. Nike shorts are inescapable, especially on a college campus. DEATH TO THE SWOOSH!
ReplyDeleteugh. so true.
ReplyDeleteI've recently started a blog and would
http://diyainherstilettos.blogspot.com/
I, Evan, swear to abide by the terms stated in the above contract. Thank you, Mrs. Adams, for helping rid the world of this atrocity, one butt cheek at a time.
ReplyDeleteP.S. I'm also reblogging this...because word should get out. Seriously.
Ohhhh, that explains the sheer white pair with the thong underneath that I recently had the misfortune of witnessing. I had no idea it was a trend, but you're right...it shouldn't be.
ReplyDeleteis this epidemic as bad as people wearing pajamas at walmart? omg, my ass would look so huge in shorts like those. no danger of my wearing them.
ReplyDeleteYou should just SEE Texas Tech's campus.
ReplyDeleteNike has created a cult I tell you!
Yeah, I'm definitely not wearing those shorts. Not flattering in the least.
ReplyDeleteSo true! I don't understand how these fads catch on...it's not flattering at all and I don't understand how they can be comfortable in winter! I would be embarrassed to leave my house in nike shorts and NOT go to the gym!
ReplyDeleteSo true! I don't understand how these fads catch on...it's not flattering at all and I don't understand how they can be comfortable in winter! I would be embarrassed to leave my house in nike shorts and NOT go to the gym!
ReplyDeleteI agree! I refuse to buy them to even workout in.
ReplyDeletethis is great - you know it reminds me of the Umbros of the late 80's early 90's and the ADIDAS stripe leg shorts of the mid-late 90's!
ReplyDeletePreach on! ox
I promise to only where then when working out, washing my jeep or canoeing/camping.
Heard. I would also like to mandate no Victoria's Secret PINK sweatpants in public...you have more pull on these matters, so I implore you to make something happen with that as well. (I especially detest said sweats tucked into Ugg boots.)
ReplyDeleteYou crack me up! I haven't seen this around my area...yet. I'm dreading it! Oh and AGREED!
ReplyDeleteAs a male, I lack the organs necessary for judging what is fashionable and what is not. However, I have been noticing a proliferation of these shorts for non-athletic uses at school. It is possible some of these girls have taken a kinesiology class during the day, but mostly I suspect they are just lazy.
ReplyDeleteI PLEDGE that - where it is appropriate to say so, and where I will not get slapped, or sued - I will seek to end this crime against fashion!
Love,
Steve
Dude! Some girl (who I assume was a sorority chick) crossed my path TODAY wearing those shorts and a pair of UGG's!!!! Almost simultaneously, myself and my roommate in the passenger seat both voiced our WTF's?!?!!!
ReplyDeleteOh gosh I hope these don't catch on in New Zealand!
ReplyDeleteThere are worse things though. Back in November I had to do a post on these: http://schoolmarmstyle.blogspot.com/2009/11/we-have-serious-problem.html
ReplyDeleteFor halloween I went as a UT undergrad and wore UT tempos, black leggings, uggs (fake), and a white men's vneck undershirt. Completed the outfit with a necklace and black northface.
ReplyDeleteHehehe, this is hilarious!
ReplyDeleteI didn't know this was a thing, but it must be stopped before it becomes rampant like Uggs!
oh my GOD, umbros! i totally forgot that was a thing.
ReplyDeletelet's not let the nike shorts grow to those proportions. consider me in.
Have you just now noticed this? It was an epidemic when I was at UT four years ago, and I am sorry to see it persists still.
ReplyDeleteHere in California, the latest outrage is boys wearing skinny jeans... that are sagged below the butt.
hilarious post, Indiana! i've noticed this unfortunate trend all over Austin, too! what the heck is up with it?!
ReplyDeleteHaha! Thank you!!! I'm so glad I'm not alone in opposing this serious threat to fashion!
ReplyDeletePretty sure being in shape is FAR more important than fashion and the Nike tempo is one of the most comfortable and cute running shorts you can get! This blog and effort is a waste of time and I'm embarrassed for those of you who put included 'ew' in your post! I've seen some pretty hideous efforts of fashion and think that the tempo short should be the LEAST of the fashion worlds worries!
ReplyDelete@Brynn
ReplyDeleteMore power to you and ANYONE who actually wears these shorts to work out in. The problem here, which I think you totally missed, is that these girls who are wearing these shorts to NICE RESTAURANTS with their Uggs are not using these shorts in a workout environment. Ew. C'mon! How hard is it to throw on a pair of jeans?
Regarding your direct quote "This blog and effort is a waste of time", le obviously, you are not a frequent reader of Adored Austin and do not get my tongue and cheek sense of humor. In any regard, see you at the gym! I know which shorts you'll be wearing. Hopefully you won't be sporting your Uggs on the treadmill... :0)
Touche.
ReplyDeleteMy boyfriend and I despise these shorts! Honestly, they shouldn't be worn to class, to HEB, and ONLY to the gym. Down with these shorts and the soffee shorts as well!
ReplyDeleteI just don't believe in any kind of shorts. So there.
ReplyDeleteI'm from Birmingham, AL and let me tell you sometimes I wonder if some of the trends are only within the Birmingham area or at least the state of AL. Then I step outside of state and see the very same trend in other (southern) states. The shorts are like the new uniform for the female gender. I have to cringe when I see mothers wearing them as regular attire. It is rather difficult to state my claim on the Nike shorts. I actually own some of these shorts. I did not buy these because they're a trend, but merely for the use of physical activity and as "around the house" garb. As a whole, I hate trends. I for one am a complete hater of these shorts with Uggs (just saying the word Ugg makes me sick). I already hate those ugly boots and then with the shorts it's like a violation. I must admit I am guilty of wearing these shorts with leggings while exercising if my pants are dirty. I am like many other people...I feel almost embarrassed when I'm wearing these shorts in public. The trend has gone too far. What I find most amusing to see are girls shopping while wearing theses shorts. I just have to think why do they need real clothes when they wear Nike shorts all the time? When do they wear these clothes? I must admit that these shorts are very comfortable, but you won't find me wearing them out in public very often. As I mentioned before, I hate trends. The white v-neck is one that makes me very mad. Last year in June I innocently bought a pack of Fruit of the Loom men's v-necks because I just happen to like white shirts and white v-necks. Little did I realize that in like a month every girl was going to have these shirts. I must explain that when I bought these shirts(thinking this was my idea) I almost felt weird about wearing them in fear people would think I was crazy because I was wearing an undershirt. I was astounded to find that when my best friend returned from a trip she had some herself. It outraged me that my original and innocent idea became a trend over night without my knowledge. I bought these shirts because I wanted some v-necks and thought of these because I had been wearing one of my brother's previously. I still wear my shirts, but not as much as i used to. I could go on and on listing the trends that have become my worst enemies. All to say, we will never get away from trends. Being original is one difficult task.
ReplyDeleteYOU ARE MY HERO! I work on a college campus - and have ranted & raved about these almost on a daily basis! THEY. MUST. BE. STOPPED.
ReplyDeleteMississippi State Students Display Alarming Lack of Wardrobe Creativity!
ReplyDelete(you can guess why...)
http://chereefranco.wordpress.com/2010/10/17/mississippi-state-students-display-alarming-lack-of-wardrobe-creativity/