Yes, this is another ticket, totally different than this one from last month that cost me $135. For you see, this one is for being a on cell phone in a school zone, and this one will be $275. The defensive driving course is not an option since today's citation was was issued less than 90 days from my previous (alleged) infraction.
Some people will say this serves me right for making fun of Nike shorts. Others will be like, "What the what? Driving while talking on your phone in a school zone is against the law?!" Yeah, that's what I said to the police man, but I got no sympathy (and really, who could blame him?). He still gave me a ticket. I cried afterward, but I probably should have cried before.
Hubs is going to be very, very disappointed, and this will, for sure, raise our insurance. That's a lot of the reason why I feel so bad: it stinks that he's stuck with a higher insurance bill because of the dumb things I do. Ah, one of the few pitfalls of marriage! This will also kill my shopping budget for the next two months. I'm going to have to get creative with recycling the clothes I already own. Or I'm going to have to get a part-time job to cover all this ticket madness! Is substitute teaching hard? Is working as a temp receptionist fun?
In other news, after debating a color since July, I finally finished painting one of the guest rooms today. This room will soon become Hubs' music room/ office and I hope that all my hard work will convince Hubs to not make me feel even worse than I already do about getting two tickets in less than six weeks time!
Some people will say this serves me right for making fun of Nike shorts. Others will be like, "What the what? Driving while talking on your phone in a school zone is against the law?!" Yeah, that's what I said to the police man, but I got no sympathy (and really, who could blame him?). He still gave me a ticket. I cried afterward, but I probably should have cried before.
Hubs is going to be very, very disappointed, and this will, for sure, raise our insurance. That's a lot of the reason why I feel so bad: it stinks that he's stuck with a higher insurance bill because of the dumb things I do. Ah, one of the few pitfalls of marriage! This will also kill my shopping budget for the next two months. I'm going to have to get creative with recycling the clothes I already own. Or I'm going to have to get a part-time job to cover all this ticket madness! Is substitute teaching hard? Is working as a temp receptionist fun?
In other news, after debating a color since July, I finally finished painting one of the guest rooms today. This room will soon become Hubs' music room/ office and I hope that all my hard work will convince Hubs to not make me feel even worse than I already do about getting two tickets in less than six weeks time!
Comment of the Day: Just think, a kid's crossing the road and you're on the phone and don't see him. I'm surprised the fine isn't higher. Good luck! -Taylor B.So, true, Taylor. So, so true. Admittedly, I absolutely could not handle a ticket any higher than this, so I'm quite glad the fee is as low as it is! Lesson learned. Painfully, painfully learned! -Indi
Didn't this rule just go into effect on January 1? I had heard there would be a 30-day grace period in enforcing the new no-using-your-cell-phone-in-a-school-zone rule. They were just supposed to be warning and "educating" people, not ticketing. Art Acevedo said so!
ReplyDeletesorry indiana. being pulled over and getting a ticket is one of the worst feelings! i hope you feel better soon:)
ReplyDeleteTalking on your phone PERIOD is illegal in CA. And texting. Though I think that should have been the first law--they added that one almost as an afterthought.
ReplyDeleteAnd PS--being a substitute teacher BLOWS almost as much as being a REAL teacher! (Trust me, I would know--I was a sub and I AM a teacher). You should start your own personal shopping business. People can hire you to take them shopping :)
It's illegal in Ontario to drive anywhere while talking on your cell phone.
ReplyDeleteGotta be honest, i agree with the law. It's a dangerous distraction! Illegal or not, it's not a great idea to be doing. Don't even get me started on the texting while driving i constantly see!
Though in Ontario, we can also fight our tickets in court and if the officer doesn't show up, we don't have to pay it! Can you fight your ticket? Sometimes they are lenient just because.
ps. being a receptionist is not fun.
It's illegal to drive and talk on the phone anywhere in Australia. I can't believe it's only illegal to do that in a school zone there
ReplyDelete:o( sorry you had a rotten day. your paint colour is very pretty, though! hopefully you'll have a great day tomorrow.
ReplyDeleteOh sweetie, I am sorry... that totally SUCKS!! I get that it is illegal to talk on your phone while driving in some states (I don't think it passed yet is MA, but I am going to check on that ASAP because I definately do this and live all around school zones), but I can't beleive it would be that BIG of a fine. Ugh!
ReplyDeleteWell, you do have an amazing style and creativity about you, so I am pretty sure you are going to come up with some amazing outfits- probably better than any of us coudl buy. :)
BIG hugs!
Amy
http://thebargainhunterextraordinaire.blogspot.com
That law makes sense, though. Makes me wonder if we have that same law in my town.
ReplyDeleteJust think, a kid's crossing the road and you're on the phone and don't see him. I'm surprised the fine isn't higher. Good luck!
Aw, sorry!!! I feel your pain. I just got a ticket yesterday (expired inspection sticker-- I TOTALLY FORGOT-- and I'm way past the 60 day grace period-- so there goes $137.00). BOOOOO. It's not about whether it's a good law or a bad law; it's about how much it sucks to be oblivious to the fact that you're breaking it and having to pay a hefty price regardless! Couldn't someone just hand out a friendly reminder????
ReplyDelete@Jenny
ReplyDeleteAwww! Thank you for that comment! Exactly re: "It's not about whether it's a god law or a bad law; it's about how much it sucks to be oblivious to the fact that you're breaking it and having to pay a hefty price regardless".
@everyone
Oh, I get that it's dangerous, and I know I may have come off as a self righteous idiot in my post, but I was hoping for a little grace and mercy from the officer instead of justice. The ticket was well deserved, but ouch! That fine is gonna HURT and the ramifications affect my husband, and that makes me feel even WORSE than I already feel!
Sorry about your ticket! I got caught going 35 in a school zone (which was a TOTAL speed trap, btw). Because it was a school zone, had to pay a higher fee. Luckily, I did get to take defensive driving. Guess all you can do is pay the fine and be a better driver for it. The money thing does suck but maybe this is the universe's way of keeping you out of trouble. ;-)
ReplyDeleteYikes! Too bad there was no warning.. sometimes you just need one of those, you know? Especially since it just went into effect!
ReplyDeletexx, lightssobright.blogspot.com
Lame sauce my friend, I'm really sorry. I feel your pain . One time I got a speeding ticket in a school zone, in the MORNING rushing on my way to work. Wait, what job was that, you ask? Oh yeah, I was a NANNY. =0( Sad sad times. I am a horrible person.
ReplyDeleteWell, at least no one got hurt and I got to see a motorcycle cop in action. Pretty heart-sinking-oh-man-no-not-me!-but-that-is-still-kinda-cool moment. Yours, maybe not so much the cool part as all the read.
PEEESS: I totally dig your wall color, wooT!
"Lame sauce" might be my favourite new phrase, ever. In other news, it's illegal in Ireland to drive on the phone at all; you get points on your licence, a fine and your insurance goes up. But all the police do it, so...
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry to hear about your story. On a lighter note, I love the paint's color!
ReplyDeleteIt sucks to get a ticket, specially 2 in a row...but now you know!
ReplyDeleteIf a least they weren't so expensive... but cheer up!!!
I am sure it's a beautiful day outiside :)
sucks that you got another ticket - hope things improve. here in british columbia, it's now illegal to talk or text on a cell phone while driving, period (unless you have hands-free).
ReplyDeleteAhoy!
ReplyDeleteI feel your pain..
I came home to two separate red light tickets yesterday evening..
Not fun.
I live in Chicago but am planning a move to Austin and was praying that your tickets Gods were a little less evil..
Sigh.
PS enjoy your blog. It is inspiring me to get down there and out of the cold.
Dresses!