Absurd things that Halloween tries to pass off as sexy:

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Sesame Street Characters.
sesamestreet
Actual quote from costume description: "She did it all for the cookie!"
I watched Sesame Street daily from ages three to five and not once since then did I think that either Elmo, Cookie Monster, or Big Bird were saucy. And is it just me, or does it look like these women MURDERED our beloved Sesame Street characters and are wearing their faces and pelts like proud hunters? NOT SEXY.

Speaking of murderers, you know what else is not sexy? Horror movie men:
horrormovies
Actual quote from costume description: "Slay them with your outfit and slash the competition!"
Behold the sexy lady versions of Leatherface (from Texas Chainsaw Massacre), Jason Voorhees (Friday the 13th), and Mike Myers (Halloween). I just want to know why the Leatherface costume doesn't come with... you know... a leather face.
better
Too much sexy? Probably!

Other random things that Halloween deems sexy: crayons, candy, Sponge Bob, and Finding Nemo.
unsexy
The "Naughty Nem-oh" costume description is just too hilarious to not post in its entirety:
"They claim that there are plenty of fish in the sea but none as sexy as this. You will be the catch of a lifetime dressed in the Women's Naughty Nem-Oh Sexy Fish Costume."

Oh. My. Word! Halloween is one of my favorite holidays, and I'm sad that I won't be able to partake this year. I'm not one to try to use it as an excuse to dress sexy or slutty, though. Honestly, I really appreciate a costume that is pieced together thoughtfully from thrift stores and isn't just a cheap polyester thing from the Spirit Halloween store (proof). However, I have to admit that the Skittles dress and the "Naughty Nem-oh" costume CRACK ME UP! I'm not above procuring them for the irony factor for next year.
[photos from Spirit Halloween]

Comment of the Day: A good friend of mine moved to the States from Korea when he was young. On his first Halloween, his mother made him his costume - he wanted to be a crayon. She made the body out of a sheet, and even made him a pointed hat to wear. The only problem? She made him a white crayon.

On the day of his school's Halloween costume parade, he showed up draped in a white sheet with a white pointy hat. His family didn't know about the KKK, and it took a bit of explaining. -Katie

32 comments:

  1. I go the non-slutty route as well. One year I was Ellen and that was a big hit. I took out my Amex and danced all night in a shirt blonde wig, t-shirt, blazer, jeans and shell toe addidas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHAHA hilaaaaaarious! i've never been terribly pleased with any of my halloween costumes, as i always throw them together at the very last minute. one year i was smurfette, which was fun because i painted myself blue. my pre-high school costumes were always pretty awesome, but then they were all disney characters...

    ReplyDelete
  3. BWAHAHAHAHAAA!!! The Leatherface and Nem-Oh nearly had me snarf my water here. Oy.

    I will admit to defaulting to a bit on the sexy side in the past (I went a few years ago as the St. Pauli Girl), but nothing like this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post! Basically everything gets turned into a skin tight short version of itself for Halloween.

    The puns in the costume names crack me up. Last year I found costumes for 'Fang-bang'n Vamp' and 'Robyn 'da Hood'. No joke.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been looking for a costume for a Strawberry Shortcake costume for my daughter and was HORRIFIED to see her vamped to PG-13 for Adults. Really?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This post is hilarious! It is exactly what I think of halloween too...I hate those "sexy" i mean slutty tramps running around in their store-bought loser outfits on Halloween. It's so stupid and shows their extreme lack of creativity in terms of costumes. I mean why would you even embarrass yourself with such a slutty costume? Although, putting the "leather-face" on the leather face costume definitely does it a little more justice! Really Good Post, Indiana, this is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eww, those are all just icky.
    I can hear some poor little confused child right now..."Mommy? Why does Cookie Monster have breasts?"

    I've always felt the same way about Halloween costumes as I do about Christmas lights, if you aren't going to do it right, don't attempt to do it at all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bwahahahaha! Halloween is my favorite holiday as well!
    It seems like all that they do is take any character and turn it into a tight mini dress and add knee high socks and stripper heels.
    Voila! you have slutty costumes!
    Last year I let my daughter pick out my costume. She was Cinderella so of course she chose the (Not so) Snow White costume for me! I had to customize it just so that I wouldn't be arrested for indecent exposure while Trick or Treating with her!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness, this cracked me up. My fave are definitely the seseame street ones. Murdered, indeed.

    - Patricia
    fivefootsomething.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. A good friend of mine moved to the States from Korea when he was young. On his first Halloween, his mother made him his costume - he wanted to be a crayon. She made the body out of a sheet, and even made him a pointed hat to wear. The only problem? She made him a white crayon.

    On the day of his school's Halloween costume parade, he showed up draped in a white sheet with a white pointy hat. His family didn't know about the KKK, and it took a bit of explaining.

    ReplyDelete
  11. HOLY COW the "sexy fish" is so freakin funny. The worst part is that someone, somewhere, is buying one of those as we laugh over it :P

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ohmygod I'm dying! Naughty Nemo?!? I'm so tired of seeing all these "sexy" costumes every Halloween. I wish more women would just dress slutty whenever they want (like I do) instead of letting it ALL out on one day.

    Tamia
    TheStyleSample

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ill admit in my younger days (ie early 20s) I went this route but now I look back on that and think My Gosh what was I thinking...nowdays these slutty costumes dont fly with me

    ReplyDelete
  14. Haha! Ok, don't make too much fun, but at 6 feet tall, I've been called Big Bird a time or two. I'm not embarrassed by my height though, so I thought it would be so funny to go as that Big Bird costume! It made me laugh so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The Naught Nemo costume has my name written all over it. I am going to buy it!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for posting this, too funny! It does make me hate people a little more though.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is HYSTERICAL! Though, I gotta say, I'm kind of into that Skittles dress - I could rock that year round! haha

    I live in a college, so Halloween around here is exactly as it is described in Mean Girls "the one day a year when a girl can dress like a complete slut and nobody can say anything about it." And yes, most costumes around here consist of lingerie and animal ears. HI-larious!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hahaha, I'm so glad you made a post about this! I was thinking the same thing. All of those outfits are just plain ridiculous. I prefer to have a unique/funny outfit. Last year I was Ziggy Stardust for Halloween and it was AWESOME! Even though most people didn't know who I was.

    ReplyDelete
  19. AHAHA. The "sexy" crayon cracked me up the most. These are terrible! When will the madness end?

    A girl I recently met said she acquired a sexy Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle costume. I have yet to see it, but that's got to be up there for worst sexy costumes.

    ReplyDelete
  20. oh my gosh! too funny. seriously, what does this say about our culture?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh man! Those Sesame street costumes are horrible. I don't really see the grouch as sexy or anything that reminds of when I was young enough to eat my own boogers.

    ReplyDelete
  22. lovely blog :D

    these outfits are hilarious. cute concepts though!

    im a new follower :D
    i hope my blog inspires you to follow back ;]

    <3 dennica pearl
    - through the eyes of a pearl
    - vintage shop

    ReplyDelete
  23. OMG, I love this post, I was literally cracking up reading this. And SO true, wearing pelts of our beloved sesame street friends, is NOT sexy!! XOXO, Natalya

    ReplyDelete
  24. What is absurd to me are the little girls costumes made now to look just like the women's "sexy" costumes... Check out the packaging in the Halloween Aisle next time you're at the store

    ReplyDelete
  25. this is too funny! I cant believe what some girls wear, sooo horrible!

    ReplyDelete
  26. lol, the spongebob one makes me laugh.

    but I don't really have a problem with revealing costumes. some of these comments are pretty judgemental...

    I also kind of love the crayon.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Gah! I'm with you!! I like a costume with creativity.

    That comment of the day is HILARIOUS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Halloween is a commercial holiday. They'll do anything to make money! American's use all holidays to make money. Sad.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I've been looking for a costume for a Strawberry Shortcake costume for my daughter and was HORRIFIED to see her vamped to PG-13 for Adults.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Creepy. Going the non-slutty route is much more fun!

    ReplyDelete

I read every single comment that I get (I have it set up to go to my phone!), and I thank you so much for adding to the discussion!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...