Much love for Mothlove & Project Runway's Gretchen Jones

Monday, September 27, 2010

I am not a Project Runway freak. In fact, last season was the first season that I watched the show. You see, despite my own attempted forays into reality television, I really try to avoid watching shows that make me become a part of what I call "the culture of criticism". I hate watching shows like American Idol because I don't think it's fun to become an armchair naysayer... and when I watch shows like that I find myself becoming a complaining, negative person. I mean, who am I to sit on my couch and say things like, "You're not talented!" when in fact if designers (or singers or -insert whatever for whichever show-) have made it to that level, they are far more talented than I am and probably 99% of the folks watching them on t.v.?

I was scared that Project Runway would make me become an armchair naysayer, but at the insistence of pretty much everyone, I started watching it (yes, I give into peer pressure pretty easily!). Needless to say, I was instantly hooked! I think everyone on the show is immensely talented, and this season my favorite designer right off the bat was Portland's Gretchen Jones. Her pre- Project Runway line Mothlove is the bohemian dream I long for. I crave these two dresses like you wouldn't believe:
mothlove
Reality television is a tricky beast. I'm sure I've mentioned it on here before, but I have auditioned for (an made it to the final rounds) of two reality t.v. shows. My number one fear while auditioning? Nope, not leaving home and Hubs for a long time. My number one fear was editing. It wouldn't matter how nice or funny or charming or smart I am. Nice does not always make for good t.v. and I would have no say in how I was edited.

Thus why I try to give folks on reality t.v. the benefit of the doubt. My dear Gretchen has received a lot of criticism lately for what I perceive is simply drama educing editing. After Thursday's show, I tweeted as much, so imagine my giddy surprise when Miss Jones herself tweeted me back the next day!
tweet
SQUEE! Okay, I'll admit it. I get starstruck very easily. But instead of going on and on about how much I love Mothlove, I'll let her work on the show speak for itself:
gretchen
Yes. I'll take one of each, please, and maybe two of the tinsel skirt and maxi caftan.

Who else is watching Season 8 of Project Runway? Who are your favorite designers?
[links: Mothlove, Project Runway full episodes]

Comment of the Day: "...I want to squish Mondo into my pocket. He's totally adorable and I really love his work." -Alyson

15 comments:

  1. AWESOME! I love Gretchen and Mondo's looks. I actually just started watching Project Runway this season! But I still won't watch American Idol lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am watching and my fav is Mondo! I love his bright colors and brave pattern mixing that I only wish I was brave enough to wear. Project Runway has been a favorite for quite a few seasons now. I wanted to be a fashion designer when I was in high school so I live vicariously.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. I think Gretchen has been unfairly edited. The only time you see her being silly is with Cassanova, and I'm sure she is much sillier than just that.

    In the beginning she was my favorite. What she did at the party supply store... I WANT THAT SKIRT! It is really beautiful. However, I am really starting to enjoy getting to know each designer and their aesthetic. I think often we can judge other unfairly, especially when we are not skilled in their crafts. The contestants are under CRAZY amounts of pressure. What I enjoy most about the show is watching the design process from beginning to end. If anything it has taught me that you can whip up a project quickly on the sewing machine, from scratch if you just focus and work really hard.

    I also enjoy seeing how each designer's aesthetic and personality also ties into their designs.

    Also, I want to squish Mondo into my pocket. He's totally adorable and I really love his work. His construction FLOORS me. I want to be able to do THAT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked Gretchen's stuff in the beginning of the show but last week and the week before were pretty blah. Especially last week, I was amazed she was even chosen for one of the top 3! I have to say that both her looks were pretty boring and not at all pretty especially the caftan, feather thing. I have high hopes Valerie will make a comeback and wow them all. She is my favorite. I also like Mondo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know all about editing. However, they can't edit things you don't give them. If you lead the snarking about people often enough, that's what you've given them. I don't like her at all. Dedicated Project Runway fan since day one. I don't automatically think someone's evil b/c of editing but there's only so much you can edit. I've definitely liked some intended villains. Not now. I don't like most of her clothes. I really liked Val in the beginning but I think I'm Team Mondo now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE Mondo's looks, especially the Jackie O outfit.

    There's something about Gretchen's looks that I like, but don't always love, you know? And I don't usually like how she styles her outfits. But I agree that reality t.v. is misleading as to character.

    Actually, maybe it's TOO leading, as in, the producers ask a question they want the answer to, and it just looks like the contestant decided to start complaining about someone else. Not cool.

    I did love how she made a "leather" jacket out of paper, that was gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. EEp! That's so cool that she replied to you. I saw her at a bar here in Portland the other day, and got so starstruck because her work is just so awesome!
    I could see you rocking that caftan like nobody's business.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Every season needs a villain, and if there isn't one, I'm sure they'll make one up to keep it 'interesting'. :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Gretchen's looks (most of the time). A lot of me appeals to Mondo's sense of style as well though! Must be all the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  10. PR is the only reality show I watch and I've been addicted since season six. From the beginning, when they were showing who the new designers were going to be, I've loved Gretchen's style, but admit, she has come across as a bit snotty. Still, she makes gorgeous clothes (OMG, I soo want that jumpsuit!) I also love Mondo but I'm not sure who else will make it to the final three besides those two. Maybe April? Just hopefully not Michael C.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're so lucky! I think she's super fabulous! I'll have to check out if her stuff is still for sale!
    As far as my favorites, definitely Gretchen and Mondo. I favored Valerie at first, but she seems to have lost some steam... and April has REALLY surprised me as of lately. She has some great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes! I also usually hate reality shows for the reasons you mentioned. But this is my first season watching Project Runway and I am totally loving it.

    I really do love everything Gretchen makes. I even liked most of the stuff when the designers teamed up and made that menswear line that the judges hated so much.

    I think my favorite designer is either Andy or Mondo, but I pretty much love everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm happy that you gave Project Runway a chance. I think it's far and away superior to the other reality shows out there (many of which I'm a fan, but that's beside the point). Gretchen is also my favorite this season! I'm not really boho, but her styling adds more tailoring and femininity to traditional boho.
    I think the other really talented people like Mondo and Andy are getting recognized by the judges and will make it to Bryant Park, even if their POVs aren't my personal favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've only been watching reruns since summer then the start of this season. I love the way PR is put together and you see cost, creativity, and challenges. Gretchen is surely talented and so are some others but Mondo wins my heart not only for his designs but God bless his little heart he is such a character! It would be fun to see the interesting outfits he wears much less what he creates all in one place~

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been watching PR since the beginning and I got hooked because I could relate the their design process as I was going through the same thing in school with graphic design. I've since graduated, but still love the fashion aspect of the show. Lifetime has really upped the "drama" factor this season and everyone seems more catty than usual.

    My favorites are April, Mondo and Andy. I'm not a fan of Gretchen's boho-style, personally.

    ReplyDelete

I read every single comment that I get (I have it set up to go to my phone!), and I thank you so much for adding to the discussion!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...